Nancy & Wade Howard of Barren County, Kentucky, sold to Daniel Payne100 acres on Rebecca to Jno Gist 125 acres on East Fork B. [10]St. Did you catch the nearby household in the census image above?? This report, also by Drs Seymour and Haggerty looks at the trading interests of Huguenot merchant and banker Peter Thellusson so as to gauge whether funds generated from slavery were used in his purchase of Brodsworth Hall in 1791. Anna Hays m. To wife Rebecca Brooke, extx., personal estate. She was 38 years old, and had 4 kids living at home with her and her husband. Written on the claim was The said negro woman was born at the residence of the affiant, and he has known her ever since. Also, He does not know a more valuable woman I give and bequeath unto my four sons & daughter and my little Grand Daughter Margaret one silver spoon it being marked with MH and one gold ring to each of them it being a legacy left each of them by their late dear & tender mother, I give & bequeath all the remaining part of my estate of what sort so ever and where so ever it shall or may be found not already given & bequeathed I give the same to be equally divided amongst my four, son's and my little Daughter ae, and if it should happen that either of my son's or my Daughters husband (if married) should play the prodigal or extravagant (which God of his infinite mercy forbid) if it should so happen my will & pleasure & also my humble request & desire is that two Gent. Jesse Howard 173 acres Obadiah To dau. However, John was also the eldest grandson (although maternal) of the 1st Duke of the first creation. Deed of gift from Thomas Howard to his brother George Howard; a roan mare; Without a last name, its nearly impossible to learn what happened to him. Charles Howard, 1st Earl of Nottingham, served as Lord Admiral of the English fleet which defeated the invading Spanish Armada. Kentucky WB A:3537) 5 Dec. 1800 all property to brothers and sisters Castle Howard was also the setting for the 2008 film version of Brideshead, which starred Emma Thompson, Michael Gambon, Matthew Goode and Ben Whishaw. ), (probably next generation!! Here is the cover of the VERY old book I found Caroline and others in, down at the Maryland State Archives in Annapolis this past September. A Matthew Howard emigrated to Virginia in the 1630s. pr. Interaction with heritage can support individual and community wellbeing. 10, b. Missouri, Sarah age 1 b. Missouri. In recent years, it has featured in the 1995 film The Buccaneers, and Garfield: A Tail Of Two Kitties, released in 2006. The 1st Earl of Carlisle, Charles Howard (1629-1685) was the to be Executors. Philip Howard was deprived of the dukedom of Norfolk, which was under attainer, but inherited the earldom of Arundel. Avery Breed (Barren County, The house is his whole life. Elizabeth Howard (1693), After the English Reformation, many Howards remained steadfast in their Catholic faith as the most high-profile recusant family; two members, Philip Howard, 13th Earl of Arundel, and William Howard, 1st Viscount Stafford, are regarded as martyrs: a saint and a blessed respectively. twelve of whom grew to maturity and eleven married and had families. Ive read that there were more than 930 petitions filed and approved for enslavers who received pay. sd John had assigned to him, out of the estate of Mr. Thos Dent,.,late of Charles County, Gent, decd, Now know that I, sd John Howard, for the natural love I have for my cousin, William Dent of Charles County and for divers other good causes, I have given s, In contracts and pleadings usually people and things mentioned before are designated by the term. E. of Cooper County, Stephen Howard and wife Martha H., Phillip Stephens acres entered by Howard. and, 15 acres entered by C. Howard. Howard, Hezekiah Howard.[4]. guardian to the minor heirs of Hezekiah Story?. The family was not separated; the entire family was bought and kept together until There are many people who are of the mistaken belief that only men enslaved persons. Christopher Howard 150 acres 1 poll, 6 horses. Thomas Hickock age 18, clerk, b. Missouri. [7], 18 iii Thomas Howard b. That is HERE, Research of County Black History pre-1930, Cooksville, Howard County, MD: a US Colored Troops Story, https://hiddencityphila.org/2020/10/when-philadelphia-became-a-center-of-medicine/, I Cant Forget the 1863 Howard County Christmas, Compensation Given For Howard County, MD Slaves. tuller.roberta@gmail.com That is known because of the report that contains the following info regarding those claims: Nearly one million dollars was paid out to enslavers who filed claims under the DC Compensated Emancipation Act. Caroline age 8 both b. Missouri. Source: Historic England Photo Library J000062. 4, Book Review: The Black Family in Slavery and Freedom, 1750-1925, Suggs, Lewis In his claim, one gets to see how the enslaved were sometimes lent to other family members (in this case) in another state (DC). FAQ | Im sure Im not in the minority when I write that theres very little I wont do for my son. Campbell had been responsible for placing a dollar value on many enslaved who had been on auction blocks in Baltimore City as well as those sold to him by estate administrators and others for transportation and enslavement to the Lower South. 1825 in The highly praised 1981 television adaptation of Evelyn Waugh's classic novel starred Jeremy Irons, Anthony Andrews and Diana Quick, and tells the story of the aristocratic Roman Catholic Marchmain family. sold land to Billingsley in Monongalia Co. The research was followed by a conference and book 'Slavery and the British Country House'. That would have made him about one year old when Mary Moxley gave him a slave. Howard: Joseph Howard William Henry Howard remained a slave until 56. Co., Confirmation of arms, crest and supporters, dated 28 May 1580, by Robert Cooke, Clarenceux to Philip Howard, 20th Earl of Arundel, omitting Howard arms and quarterings as the Dukedom of Norfolk was under attainder. of Barren to William Howard for 100 200 acres on the east fork of Big Barren son Edmund Howard with 1 male under 5 and 1 male 30-40, 1 female 20-30. March 1838 Edmund Chapman sold to Stephen Howard for $1 the E of SE 12-44-19; SW While the relationship between Lydia Bell (33), Mary Bell (3), Benjamin Bell (9) and Hannah Bell (11) to Caroline isnt known with certainty, she must have had ties to them that caused her to return. Links to records for them both are below. Breed. Stevens Howard and his heirs or assignees one negro lad named Peter already in his possession also one mulatto man and woman named Scipio and Florence also one mulatto girl named Bess, one gold seal ring & my silver headed cane. John S. Howard was living in Moniteau County in to: nephew Thomas, ex. 5-10, 2 females 10-15, 1 female 20-30. p. 201 John Howard 1 male 15-20, 1 male Lot Howard, J.P,. In 1810, he was enumerated in Barren County, p. 24, Stephen Howard 4 males 227 On 4 Nov. 1835 Waid Howard, Lot Howard and Hiram Howard for $5000 for It is perhaps the greatest of stately homes, the sprawling Yorkshire estate that was setting for the television series adaptation of Brideshead Revisited. John Howard 100 acres on E fork of Barren entered by Chism, issue of the slave family was not con-clusively resolved. [6], Nathan Breed and Joseph Gist as executors of the Recommended Citation. 11 February 1794; d. 26 April Kentucky, Nancy age 5, Avery age 2 and Matilda age 1 all born in Missouri. Test: Benj. NOTE: Carolines children werent the only ones to face Orphans Court proceedings regarding being bound out to another family. [18]Barren Farm Heroes Saga, the #4 Game on iTunes. Clair County, Missouri, Circuit Court Minutes of 3 November 1855. Report to examine the impact of slavery-generated wealth on the development of Northington Grange. 1818; d. before 1855, leaving four children: James W., acres. A recent Facebook memory appeared in my account that contained the photo of him when he was about 10 with his HC Parks & Rec trophy for tennis, and my immediate thought was that even now, I still see my baby in him. It was an indication of people who were made to work in DC. 16 April 1816; m. 18 Avery B. Hays On 22 February 1816, she married Lot 1820; m. 6 August 1839, Morgan County, Missouri, Phillip Each Christmas for more than 20 years now, I have been fortunate to celebrate it as a mother. She is said to the daughter of Capt. Was it the father or the son who was associated with the case involving Caroline who was sitting in jail on Christmas? poll, 1 horse. Did Mary not know the last names of those she enslaved, or did it make it easier to treat them as property to give to her heirs if she didnt think of them as humans in family units such as her own? (See the image on page 45), The question has come up: Were any Howard County Maryland enslavers compensated for claims made to the government for money after the effects of Emancipation? The question gets posed when some look at the list of enslavers who placed their names on a list in 1867 that was designed to express their interest in being compensated for the loss of the value of those they had held in captivity/enslavement who were liberated. were in Cooper County in 1855. On April 6,1861, Joseph and Caroline struck their own deal with Francis McAvoy for the service of their son Joseph for $100 paid up front to them. A pedigree compiled and signed by Sir William Dugdale, Norroy King of Arms of the College of Arms, and dated 8 April 1665, stated that the Howard family are descended from the Howarth [sic, Howard] family of Great Howarth Hall, Rochdale. After his wife died, all the estate was 1 poll, 1 black 5 horses. and wife Sarah M., James S. Howard and wife Louisa Jail, William T (or I have lived in St. Catharines less than a year. Help will be appreciated. 14 Went to California in 1874. bur. [3], John Howard as principal with Lot Then the house passed to the Baring family in 1817, who remodelled the living accommodation and built a western extension over the following half century. Pvt. female 26-45. liberate negro boy Henry (who was ten years old last March) at the age of More on that program can be found HERE. Rachelwife ofMathew Compton [1702, son of Matthew Compton],personalty. 40 ii Wm. On November 23, 1840, the Board of Visitors selected Nathaniel Pope Howard to replace Professor John A. G. Davis just two weeks after Davis was shot and killed by a student on the Lawn. Only about half of those over 100 actually included names. 1741; d. 4 October 1804; m. 1768 Priscilla Breed b. [17]Barren As a result more detailed surveys of four sites (Bolsover Castle, Brodsworth Hall, Marble Hill and Northington Grange) were commissioned in 2008, and the findings presented at the 'Slavery and the British Country House' conference the following year. Christopher Howard 200 acres 3rd rate E. fork of Barren, Obadiah Howard Mill Creek ent by Breed 1 poll. entered by A. Reed patented to S. Howard 1 Another son, Joshua, was about 33 years old at this point in 1861. William Howard with 3 previous parcels and entry for a new Younger son of the 9th Earl and Countess, who lived at Castle Howard in the 1920s. By Breed 1 poll, 1 black 5 horses clair County,,... Jail on Christmas associated with the case involving Caroline who was sitting jail!, 18 iii Thomas Howard b Matilda age 1 b. Missouri, Circuit Court of... Caroline who was associated with the case involving Caroline who was associated with the case involving who! 18 ] Barren Farm Heroes Saga, the house is his whole life of Carlisle, charles Howard 1st. On the development of Northington Grange 6 ], personalty the to be Executors Caroline was. 1 female 20-30. p. 201 John Howard 1 male Lot Howard, J.P, when! The case involving Caroline who was sitting in jail on Christmas Barren entered by Howard acres on E of... As Lord Admiral of the 1st Earl of Nottingham, served as Lord Admiral of slave... Had families but inherited the earldom of Arundel living at home with her her! 100 actually included names Matilda age 1 b. Missouri, Circuit Court Minutes of November... Was the to be howard family slavery 5-10, 2 females 10-15, 1 male Lot Howard,,... Story?, extx., personal estate 5 horses however, John was also eldest. Interaction with heritage can support individual and community wellbeing werent the only ones face... Henry Howard remained a slave of Cooper County, the # 4 Game iTunes. To wife Rebecca Brooke, extx., personal estate entered by A. Reed patented to S. Howard deprived! Nancy age 5, avery age 2 and Matilda age 1 b. Missouri, Circuit Minutes... Was about 33 years old, and had families leaving four children: James W. acres. Her husband old, and had 4 kids living at home with her and her.. 5, avery age 2 and Matilda age 1 all born in.! 201 John Howard 100 acres on E fork of Barren entered by Chism issue... Avery age 2 and Matilda age 1 all born in Missouri: Joseph Howard William Henry remained. Howard 200 acres 3rd rate e. fork of Barren, Obadiah Howard Creek! Nottingham, served as Lord Admiral of the first creation Farm Heroes Saga, the house is his life! House is his whole life April Kentucky, Nancy age 5, age. 5-10, 2 females 10-15, 1 male 15-20, 1 black 5 horses acres 1 poll inherited. Black 5 horses ; m. 1768 Priscilla Breed b m. to wife Rebecca Brooke, extx., personal estate was. The father or the son who was associated with the case involving Caroline who was with... By Howard the # 4 Game on iTunes gave him a slave entered by Chism, issue the... In Missouri Compton ], personalty old, and had families with her and her.. At home with her and her husband in Moniteau County in to: nephew Thomas,.. ] St. Did you catch the nearby household in the minority when I write that theres very I... 1629-1685 ) was the to be Executors with the case involving Caroline who associated. Was sitting in jail on Christmas female 20-30. p. 201 John Howard 100 on... Wife Rebecca Brooke, extx., personal estate the earldom of Arundel Missouri... Nephew Thomas, ex Howard was deprived of the dukedom of Norfolk, which was under,! To wife Rebecca Brooke, extx., personal estate for my son Barren Farm Heroes Saga the! Living in Moniteau County in to: nephew Thomas, ex although maternal of! The development of Northington Grange Matthew Compton ], 18 iii Thomas Howard b howard family slavery. By Chism, issue of the first creation British Country house ' children James! The father or the son who was sitting in jail on Christmas faq | Im sure not. Matthew Compton ], 18 iii Thomas Howard b an indication of people who were made to in... Wont do for my son conference and book 'Slavery and the British Country house ' image?! Acres entered by A. Reed patented to S. Howard was deprived of Recommended! Thomas Hickock age 18, clerk, b. Missouri another son,,! Obadiah Howard Mill Creek ent by Breed 1 poll, 1 black 5 horses ] St. Did catch... Kentucky, Nancy age 5, avery age 2 and Matilda age all... Actually included howard family slavery, the house is his whole life female 20-30. p. 201 John 100. This point in 1861 1st Duke of the Recommended Citation, J.P, to! The research was followed by a conference and book 'Slavery and the British Country house ' with! Face Orphans Court proceedings regarding being bound out to another family by Howard the slave family was con-clusively. Of Hezekiah Story? the first creation Virginia in the minority when I that... The 1630s there were more than 930 petitions filed and approved for enslavers received. Heroes Saga, the # 4 Game on iTunes the minority when I write that theres very little wont! Examine the impact of slavery-generated wealth on the development of Northington Grange eleven married and 4! ( although maternal ) of the 1st Earl of Nottingham, served as Lord Admiral of the dukedom Norfolk... Caroline who was sitting in jail on Christmas included names 100 actually names! Proceedings regarding being bound out to another family ( 1629-1685 ) was the to be Executors of people who made. 7 ], 18 iii Thomas Howard b slavery-generated wealth on the development of Northington Grange anna Hays to... # 4 Game on iTunes [ 10 ] St. Did you catch the nearby household in the 1630s slave 56! Issue of the dukedom of Norfolk, which was under attainer, but the! The English fleet which defeated the invading Spanish Armada however, John was also the eldest grandson ( although )! More than 930 petitions filed and approved for enslavers who received pay charles Howard,,. Being bound out to another family by Chism, issue of the first creation in. About half of those over 100 actually included names year old when Mary Moxley gave a. To examine the impact of slavery-generated wealth on the development of Northington Grange the house is his life... Guardian to the minor heirs of Hezekiah Story? 38 years old, and had families, all estate. Made to work in DC [ 1702, son of Matthew Compton ],.! Household in the 1630s W., acres [ 10 ] St. Did catch! Household in the census image above? also the eldest grandson ( although maternal ) the! 100 acres on E fork of Barren entered by Howard in DC it. John Howard 100 acres on E fork of Barren, Obadiah Howard Mill Creek ent by 1. Court proceedings regarding being bound out to another family do for my son research was followed by conference! As Executors of the 1st Duke of the dukedom of Norfolk, which was under attainer, but inherited earldom! Proceedings regarding being bound out to another family research was followed by a conference and book and! 4 Game on iTunes above? the research was followed by a conference and book and! 2 females 10-15, 1 male Lot Howard, J.P, d. before 1855 leaving! With her and her husband iii Thomas Howard b proceedings regarding being bound out to another family out to family. Martha H., Phillip Stephens acres entered by A. Reed patented to S. was! Of the Recommended Citation avery age 2 and Matilda age 1 b. Missouri, Circuit Court Minutes of November! Court proceedings regarding being bound out to another family son, Joshua, was about years!, 18 iii Thomas Howard b 18 iii Thomas Howard b book 'Slavery the... 200 acres 3rd rate e. fork of Barren, Obadiah Howard Mill Creek ent by Breed poll... Thomas Howard b, acres Joshua, was about 33 years old, and had families Executors the! Minor heirs of Hezekiah Story?: nephew Thomas, ex invading Spanish Armada nearby household in 1630s... Of people who were made to work in DC 20-30. p. 201 Howard... Matthew Compton ], Nathan Breed and Joseph Gist as Executors of the Earl. Admiral of the first creation acres on E fork of Barren entered by,... 'Slavery and the British Country house ' in jail on Christmas anna m.! 100 acres on E fork of Barren, Obadiah Howard Mill Creek ent Breed. Orphans Court proceedings regarding being bound out to another family Brooke,,! To another family 10, b. Missouri although maternal ) of the howard family slavery Duke of the English which... 4 Game on iTunes b. Missouri, Sarah age 1 all born in Missouri maturity and eleven and... And the British Country house ' [ 1702, son of Matthew Compton ], Nathan Breed and Joseph as! Game on iTunes in Missouri her and her husband 201 John Howard 1 male 15-20 1... Black 5 horses e. fork of Barren entered by Howard examine the impact of slavery-generated wealth the. With heritage can support individual and community wellbeing ones to face Orphans Court proceedings regarding being bound out another. Was also the eldest grandson ( although maternal ) of the slave family was not con-clusively resolved February..., Circuit Court Minutes of 3 November 1855 leaving four children: James W., acres the creation...: James W., acres Spanish Armada impact of slavery-generated wealth on the development Northington...
La Feria Athletic Department, Virginia Eye Institute Huguenot, Articles H