That all the world may see." a "Ubi posuit satisfactionis pretium anima ejus", Cocceius; "si posuerit delictum sua anima", Montanus. "He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved." That love which he displayed in his death has touched the mainspring of our being, and moved us with a passion to which we were strangers before; and, because of this, we hate the sins that once were sweet, and turn with all our hearts to the obedience that once was so unpleasant. "God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us." "In that he died he died unto sin once; but in that he liveth he liveth unto God," no more to die. (3.) One effect of Christ's death is the salvation of multitudes. And that's when you get laid out of the game. I think I might venture to assert that if you go to the most degraded race of men, you would still find, at least, some traces of this shall I call it tradition? For he shall grow up before him as a tender plant, and as a root out of a dry ground: now he has no form nor comeliness; and when we shall see him, there is no beauty that we should desire him ( Isaiah 52:15 , Isaiah 53:1-2 ). And to reject Him after the basis of this kind of evidence is to sin against your own conscience and to sin against the truth, which becomes even a greater evil. My inmost soul glories in the Head of my clan in him of the pierced hands, and the nailed feet, who wears for his princely star the lance-mark in his side! Christ was punished for you. The most scrupulous care was taken that it should be altogether without blemish; for this idea was always connected with a sin-offering, that it must be sinless in itself; and being without spot or wrinkle, or any such thing, it was held to be a competent victim to take the offender's place. 5But he was wounded on account of our sins, and was bruised because of our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and by his bruises we were healed. No conversation, nothing. But the fact that it isn't the beauty of His form that is attractive or draws us to Him means that each of us can identify with Him, because it is that spiritual beauty and the love that just draws us so much that we care not what the form may look like. He is still ready to be your strong Helper, and to do for you what he did for needy ones in the days of his sojourn here below. Assuredly this is not language which can be used of any martyr. They esteemed him smitten of God for some very great sin of his own (Isaiah 53:4; Isaiah 53:4); now it was true that he was smitten of God, but it was for our sin; the Lord bruised him, for he did not spare him, but delivered him up for us all,Romans 8:32. Thus have I talked with you in a very poor and feeble way, as far as my speech is concerned: but the doctrine is not feeble, the gospel is not poor. (4.) And then come to earth, and go, like Jonah went, though with another message than Jonah carried, through the highways and the broadways, the streets and thoroughfares of the exceeding great city, and proclaim that sin is not to be punished for its own intrinsic desert and baseness. Some connect this with the preceding clause, "he shall see a seed that shall prolong its days" b; for Christ will never want issue, his church will never fail, his seed will endure for ever, Psalms 89:29. It has been announced to him that to-morrow is his burning day. He hath put him to grief - This word, hath grieved him, is the same which in another form occurs in Isaiah 53:4. We do not read here that the Lord Christ has followers. The person so free from personal service, and so truly in our nature, and yet so exalted in person, should also be accepted and ordained of God. This perception of redeeming love, in the death of our Lord Jesus, makes all the difference: this prepares us for a higher and a better life than we have ever known before. The prey shall not be taken from the mighty; the lawful captive shall be delivered. I do not mean anything of the kind. 2. See also. Christ came not into this world unsent. "He shall see his seed." I would wish to die preaching it! Amen. We must also keep in view the contrast. "Of all whom thou hast given me, I have lost none." 20 A remnant of Israel shall be saved. Are you a sinner? Christ will have you, sinner, Christ will have you. It is so in pecuniary matters, but it is not so in penal matters. Religion will be promoted and extended through him. "And I, if I be lifted up." But the man who receives the Bible as it is, he says, "Christ died for me, then my eternal life is sure. This is a non-controversial point that basically any scholar, including . He has a seed even he whom, unseen, we this night adore. But don't worry, those that turned Me over to you have the greater sin than you do. I know you're troubled, Pilate." 6 . What is the gospel? (Exodus 29:14; Ezekiel 45:22) (55) The sacrifice was offered in such a manner as to expiate sin by enduring its punishment and curse. Now, the Lord Jesus Christ looks at you in just the same way. For that's the effect of sin. He will reckon all his pains well bestowed, and himself abundantly recompensed, if the many sons be by him brought through grace to glory. I. Septuagint: Isaiah Polyglot KJV | Tan | Vul. 12Therefore he shall inherit many, and he shall divide the spoils of the mighty; because his soul was delivered to death: and he was numbered among the transgressors; and he bore the sins of many, and was delivered because of their iniquities. See! He was despised, and we held him as of no account. Show the nobility of your pedigree by the magnanimity of your lives. You do understand me, I trust, that God must punish sin; that he must punish you for sin unless some one else will suffer in your stead; that Jesus Christ is the person who did suffer in the room and place of all those who ever have believed on him who do believe in him, or ever shall believe in him, making for those who believe on him a complete atonement by his substitution in their place. It is here equivalent to himself - when he himself is made a sin-offering, or sacrifice for sin. To bruise him - (See the notes at Isaiah 53:5). It's being forsaken of God. for his life is taken away from the earth: because of the iniquities of my people he was led to death. God has authorized and appointed him to do it; it is according to God's will and for his honour that he does it. septuagint isaiah 53:10 "The Lord is willing to cleanse him of the injury. Taking our text, then, as a guide, we propose to visit Calvary, hoping to have the help of the Holy Spirit whilst we look upon him who died upon the cross. He bore our griefs, and he carried our sorrows: yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted. And, mark, here is something substantial. But Jesus rose. O you that are the seed of Christ, go out and magnify him by your lives! The name of Abraham is always fresh in our memories. While he was yet a great way off, his father saw him, rags and poverty and sin and filth and all, and he did not wait till he was clean, but ran and fell upon his neck and kissed him, just as he was. Jesus is no longer dead. First, we have THE ORIGIN OF CHRIST'S DEATH. He suffered all the horror of hell: in one pelting shower of iron wrath it fell upon him, with hail-stones bigger than a talent; and he stood until the black cloud had emptied itself completely. Now as a general rule our bodies have an automatic reflex kind of an action, when we see a blow coming we give with the blow so it cushions the blow. Now, I am going to be as plain as I can, while I preach over again the precious doctrine of the atonement of Christ Jesus our Lord. So as many as saw Him were astonished. ("delivered up") for our sins, but the only place the OT ever speaks of being handed over for sins is in the Septuagint (LXX) of Isaiah 53:6,12 (same Greek term in Paul and Is53LXX). It is, at present, the caricature of a virtue; but it is well meant, and will come right, and the Lord sees it as it will be, and he rejoices in it. For this purpose he became man, of the substance of his mother, very man, such a man as any of us. Beloved, I think that you know, in your own experience, that it was his death that really operated most upon you in the matter of your conversion. Yet come, and welcome; for God has provided a sin-offering. We have seen how fit and proper a person he was to be such. Septuagint: Isaiah 3:10 (Tanakh/KJV) Isaiah 3:10 (NET) Isaiah 3:10 (NETS) Isaiah 3:10 (Elpenor English) Say ye to the righteous, that it shall be well with him: for they shall eat the fruit of their doings ().Tell the innocent it will go well with them, for they will be rewarded for what they have done (mall, ). Note, (1.) Beloved, we shall have many with us, whilst this morning we turn our face to the Mount of Calvary. Do you know anything about this new birth? ralink rt5370 driver windows 10. car game download mp3; revit big windows; when was the first digital computer invented who invented it; dead by daylight corrupt disk. That he shall himself continue to take care of the affairs of this numerous family: He shall prolong his days. Hence, not even Christ's death was exempt from it. It has prospered hitherto, and shall prosper, whatever obstructions or difficulties have been, or may be, in the way of it. Psalms 21:4; Psalms 34:12; Proverbs 3:2). I was shocked when I first met Dr. McGee and I didn't think he would look like that at all with that southern voice. All that Christ has belongs to his seed. Such is Jesus Christ. Will you be there to answer to your name? Although he did not give Christ to drink the actual hells of believers, yet he gave him a quid pro quo something that was equivalent thereunto. Let us try if we can see it is so. There is a martyr in prison: the chains are on his wrists, and yet he sings. The Lord also is pleased to purge him from his stroke. Thus have I expounded the first part of the subject the origin of our Saviour's worst sufferings, the Father's pleasure. They all come into the world, of which he is King, by being born into it. This answer left the questioner without reply. "We love him because he first loved us." In this he acteth justly, for the crime and sin of the Saviour's death must lay at the door of manhood. Christ will see generation after generation of those redeemed by his blood who shall be born into his family, and shall call him blessed. He determined that Christ should be born of the Virgin Mary, that he should suffer under Pontius Pilate, that he should descend into Hades, that thence he should rise again, leading captivity captive, and then should reign for ever at the right hand of the Majesty on high. We could not put him in our stead, but he put himself, and said, Father, into thy hands I commit my spirit, in a higher sense than David said, or could say it.
Augustine Confessions Sheed Translation, Articles I