This is also where you can purchase tickets for the Sharp Top Shuttlea bus to the top of Sharp Top Mountain. Whoever goes here next should find out where this wreckage is. Its like the feel of my feet doesnt match what my eyes are seeing. The cookie is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Analytics". I might suggest looking there. Return to 'Sharp Top Mountain' main page. Buzzards Roost does require some rock scrambling and carefully navigating around large rocks, so it isnt for the faint of heart. The view from up there is spectacular and you look down on to the lake in front of the Peals of Otter Lodge. . It was far from the quiet, peaceful scene I met at the start of my hike. Lots of other folks hiked the whole way which I'm sure would be challenging. By then it was open. This is a very popular area for birding, camping, and hiking, so you'll likely encounter other people while exploring. He is not cordial or informative but simply rude. Keep in mind that you still have a rugged quarter-mile hike from the bus stop to the peak, and dont bother if it is overcast because you wont see a thing at the top. Sharp Top is the most famous hike with its spectacular 360 view at the top. For some reason, this was the first time Ive taken the option. Sharp Top Trail. Abbott Lake and Flat Top Mountain (just taller at 4,001 feet) are visible to the north. I believe waymarking.com has the precise coordinates. Its great and so helpful. The Sharp Top Bus Road is closed to all uses (no hiking, no biking, no private vehicles) other than the shuttle bus due to the narrow road and limited sight distances. Even better, you are welcomed by a large Sharp Top Mountain sign. The cookie is set by GDPR cookie consent to record the user consent for the cookies in the category "Functional". Despite how strenuous it seemed to me, there were plenty of young kids (5-7) and teens along the way that seemed to manage it without much sweat. Everything from We thought you were skiing down! to Why do you have two hiking sticks? to Darn I wish I remembered to bring my trekking poles!. He was and is in a position to help the visitors to this area and he only gets in the way of enjoying this wonderful space. All Rights Reserved. We are glad we stopped in and very much enjoyed our visit. The shuttle is a good option for those either not interested or not able to hike all the way to the top. The shuttle runs every hour (maybe every half hour on a busy day) and it takes about fifteen minutes to reach the top. Theres room for maybe two dozen cars. This is a steep and strenuous route and should be attempted only by those in good health. Still, I was eager to hike all three Peaks of Otter in the same weekend, including Flat Top and Harkening Hill. Unless you started very early, the mountain will be crawling with people who took the bus ride to the top. Be sure to carry enough snacks and water with you for this hike. It is a moderately strenuous trail and is self-guiding with written displays describing the forest community. Round trip rates are $15 for adults and $7 for children 2-12. The summit offers an impressive 360-degree view of the Peaks of Otter area, the Piedmont to the east, and the Shenandoah Valley with the Allegheny mountains to the west. Sharp Top Hike Length: 3.3 miles round trip Difficulty: Strenuous Elevation Gain: 1253ft over 1.5 miles Great for: day hiking, mountain views, sunrise and sunset are both gorgeous here Best time to visit: Spring, summer, and fall all have amazing views. Length 1.1 miElevation gain 452 ftRoute type Out & back. Sharp Top (3,875 ft.): Pass the empty stone building (a former concession stand), then climb a few steps to the boulder-covered summit. With the most scheduled shuttle times to and from DIA, Peak 1 Express services more flight times than any other shuttle service in the state. Begins behind the visitor center. For a sit-down meal, look next door to the Peaks of Otter Lodge. Located in the Jefferson National Forest in Virginia, Sharp Top is by far the most popular of the three Peaks of Otter, standing proud at 3,875 feet tall. AT Northbound (from the south) From Blue Ridge Gap, via the AT, hike 3.1 miles north to Bly Gap, then less than 1/2 mile to highpoint of the AT along Sharp Top's ridge (total one-way distance to high top is approximately 3.5 miles). Their Lake View Restaurant serves up breakfast, lunch and dinner in-season. more. http://www.wp21.com/b25crash/, View Sharp Top Mountain Image Gallery - 36 Images. Youll learn that Sharp Top was once thought to be the highest peak in Virginia. Like many mountain homes, this one was improved a number of times over the years. At the summit of Sharp Top, there are stone walkways, stairs and terraces. Small gift shop, restrooms and info on Please pack out all trash and leave only footprints behind. The trail starts off with a slow but steady climb and then crosses the bus summit road at .25 miles. Lots of other folks hiked the whole way which I'm sure would be challenging. Date Climbed: 11-19-2004 . Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. As expected, the views are spectacular and it was such a sense of accomplishment to complete. Thank you for signing up for email alerts! But I have to admit that mountain of fried chicken on the buffet table looked very compelling! Even better, it wasnt as difficult I expected. Ill try to get him to haul his cookies up the mountain again next year. Check w/ the Lodge regarding the shuttle schedule, it only runs certain days and certain hours depending on the season. Thanks for sharing! Sign up for Outside+ today. The remaining .3 miles to the summit starts off relatively flat, but there are more sections of rock stairs along the way. I dont see anything specifically about pack animals, so you may need to call/email to inquire specifically. After lunch, we walked along the water and did a bit of people watching. A right turn leads to the shuttle bus shelter. This is the most popular trail at the Peaks and originates at the Nature Center across the Parkway from the Visitor Center. (another mountain, also named Sharp Top, is #42), For those that dont feelthe need to hike all the way to the summit, you can take a bus ride that brings you closer to the summit. We go in two weeks to sharp top. Mountains; . The Ultimate Roommate Compatibility Test: Backpacking the Oregon Coast Trail, 9 Hiking Adventures to Make Your Spring Pure Gold, 9 Spectacular Early Spring Backpacking Trips You Can Do Right Now, The 7 Best Hikes Backpackers Editors Did in 2022, The Best San Diego Hikes for Your Next Coastal Adventure. Experiencing this mountain cascade is well worth the effort. This website uses cookies to improve your experience. Make sure you have proper shoes those, flooding is a common thing in this area and a few times my boyfriend and I had to find ways around the trails since they were under water. The shuttle departs from the main lodge building. The Falling Water Cascades Trail is a 1.4-mile loop hike that leads to a series of cascades on Fallingwater Creek. For the full Sharp Top hike (3.3 miles, out-and-back), the trail begins with a dozen stone steps right. The view of Sharp Top is great. This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Sharp Top has such a special place in my heart. I turned left for Sharp Top, but hit Buzzards Roost on the way down. Im glad someone thought better of the idea and closed the place down do we really need hot dogs and ice cream for sale on mountain summits? Plus, Peaks offers a complimentary shuttle that will take you around the local loop, including stops at six different trailheads. (36), Climber's Log Entries Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. After loading up with water and snacks, follow the well-marked signs to the start of the trail, which begins as a neatly-constructed stone staircase. From the Blue Ridge Parkway-based trailhead (across from the Peaks of Otter Visitor Center at MP86), start a moderate climb along the mountains base. Finally, Scottish settlers may have named the Peaks after Ben Otter, a mountain in their homeland that resembles Sharp Top.. We settled for sandwiches instead. If you like the stair master at the gym, you will love the ups and downs of the hike. The Washington Monument, completed in 1884, contains an engraved stone block recognizing 3,875-foot Sharp Top Mountain as Virginias highest peak. They have parking at the bottom of the hiking trail and then you just walk up. It has almost every kind of terrain and some parts are easy and some parts of very difficult. The rock formations on this mountain are impressive! NC Carefully climb the massive rock or take a short spur path on the right for views. Near the top, walk a spur trail the final 1,500 feet to the views. Be sure to enjoy the plants and animals that live along this trail and dont be surprised to run into many of them on your trip. It is a steep trail, and it took about 1.5hrs to get to the top. This trail drops 260 feet below the Fallingwater Trail Parking Area and hikers should be prepared to climb that elevation on their return. These cookies will be stored in your browser only with your consent. Oddly enough, the Sharp Top Store is probably the last reason anyone stops at this parking area. The best times to visit this trail are March through November. Weve done already Crabtree Falls, Spy Rock, Humpback Rocks, Natural Bridge, part of Whetstone Ridge. Living history demonstrations are presented on a seasonal basis. Peaks of Otter Visitor Center: Located at MP86 on the Blue Ridge Parkway, the Visitor Center offers overflow parking for Sharp Top hikers who cant find a spot at the trailhead (Waypoint 2), as well as a great view of Sharp Top Mountain. When you reach the junction .3 miles from the summit, I would highly recommend adding .2 miles (.4 miles round trip) to check out Buzzards Roost. These Photos Prove It. Every available space was taken, as was every patch of grass that could fit a vehicle. Sharp Top Trail Shuttle The Sharp Top Store also sells walk-up Sharp Top Mountain shuttle tickets. The shuttle delivers visitors to within .25-mile of the summit. After passing the building, the path winds between the stones up to the highest spot. 28803, Download the official NPS app before your next visit. Then, keep your eyes open for a change of scenery. Hiking along the bus road is prohibited. Was designated with Fallingwater Cascades trail as a continuous National Recreation Trail in April 1982. there is no public driving up there its too narrow . Shuttle departs from the Peaks of Otter Lodge lobby at 8:30am, 10am, 12pm, 1:30pm, and 3pm. Almost immediately upon reaching the summit, youll pass the cabin. , The trail soon crosses a road used by shuttles in summer before ascending more steeply, with dense forest giving way to ever-expanding mountain-and-valley views to the southeast. The trail is popular with families, and youll even see the occasional dog (a leash is required). Anytime I climb places with uneven footing and precipitous, open drops I get an awful spinning sensation. While a hike like this isnt for everybody, the views from the top sure are. If youre short on time or just looking for a nice and easy way to reach the local trailheads, the Sharp Top Shuttle is just the ticket. Lately, Christine and I have made this hike a nearly annual fall tradition. The views are truly spectacular. Backpacking Has Changed a Lot Over the Past 50 Years. It's not a long hike, about 30 minutes or so but it is very steep. Continue left on the trail to the summit. You will see a day-use only cabin at the summit and stairs to different platforms to soak in the views. The trail is almost all uphill, somewhat steep at times, with plenty of rocks, roots and stairs along the way. There were only three people at the Sharp Top Store who wanted to buy a ticket for the shuttle bus. Guests arrived by mule-drawn carriages. We got a really early start on our morning, and were headed up the trail by 9:30 or so. I know they are not on the Appalachian. If your kids are fit and active, they may be able to do the entire hike. It's defined as the vertical distance between a peak and the lowest contour line surrounding that peak and no higher peak. You start up the trail near the nature center. My family used to regularly have picnic lunches at Peaks of Otter, so this is a place Ive been visiting all of my life. 100-703 Broughton Street Victoria, British Columbia, Canada V8W1E2 +1-866-445-8259 support@luckytogocanada.com Near the end of the trail, there are quite a few stone stairs to climb. Shuttles run from the parking lot to the top of the peak in summer. This was very helpful thank you so much. The GPS coordinates are 37.4334709 (latitude), -79.6050358 (longitude) and the approximate elevation is 3,829 feet (1,167 meters) above sea level. Schedules can change, so for the latest information be sure to check the National Park Services Operating Hours and Seasons web page for the Blue Ridge Parkway. I encountered few peak-bound hikers on this hike. The one downside to Sharp Top is the crowd of people youll be almost guaranteed to see. This is a steep and strenuous route and should be attempted only by those in good health. Last pick-up at top of mountain = 4:30 PM. The hike down was over pretty quickly and we were off to lunch! Fallingwater Cascades Trail the other segment of the National Recreation Trail, is a loop trail which takes hikers along cascades on Fallingwater Creek with its huge rock outcrops clothed in rhododendron and large hemlocks. Sharp Top Trail (1.5 miles to the summit) This is the most popular trail at the Peaks and originates at the Nature Center across the Parkway from the Visitor Center. We actually opted to walk the gravel road down the mountain to save my knees for the next hike. What was I going to do at the top of Sharp Top Mountain for an hour? These are the paths leading up from the Sharp Top mountain bus stop. Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors. The One Subscription to Fuel All Your Adventures. Flat Top Trail A strenuous 4.4-mile hike to the summit of Flat Top peak. Cant wait To hike it . Its fairly relentless uphill for a while. Small gift shop, restrooms and info on It was nice to just be able to walk out from our room to fish. The views from the top really are oustanding, they have several areas with railings and stone walls so it's not too dangerous (though the kids were scared).Pros: Excellent views, good workout, fun trail to climb, and their is a bus/shuttle that will take you most of the way if you can't or don't want to make the climb.Cons: Plenty of nats/bugs in certain sections, and as I said, a pretty steep slog up to the top.Recommendations: The hike is moderately strenuous so take the bus up and/or down if you don't have the energy or time. So many upwards hikers commented on them! Kids who hike any of these trails can register their hike at kidsinparks.com to win prizes to make their next outdoor adventure more fun. Food was good. Log in, Sharp Top: An Iconic Hike to Epic 360 Degree Views, Blue Ridge Tunnel: A One-of-a-Kind Hiking and Biking Experience, Exploring Peaks of Otter: One of the Best Stops on the Blue Ridge Parkway . You also have the option to opt-out of these cookies. And if its your first time here, you definitely need to ascend it one way or another. It seems they may be short-staffed, and the waitstaff and bartender were extremely nice and apologetic but obviously overwhelmed. To reach the trailhead, cross the Blue Ridge Parkway on a pedestrian sidewalk. Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The main draw is Sharp Top Mountain. From the summit, peakbaggers enjoy a stunning 360-degree view that sweeps across the farm-dotted eastern lowlands to the Blue Ridge Mountains and the western Shenandoah Valley. At the .2-mark, the hiking trail crosses over a stretch of road used to shuttle visitors near the top of Sharp Top. Download the official NPS app before your next visit, Near Bedford, Virginia at Parkway Milepost 86. The Peaks of Otter hike to Harkening Hill also begins across the Blue Ridge Parkway. We also use third-party cookies that help us analyze and understand how you use this website. Other than that, we had the trail mostly to ourselves. The shuttle runs from 8:30 am to 5 pm and departs from the Peaks of Otter Lodge, on the northeast side of Abbott Lake, within Peaks of Otter Recreation Area. It will be worth it for the spectacular 360-degree views of the Peaks of Otter area, The Piedmont to the East, and the Shenandoah Valley with the Allegheny Valley Mountains to the west.. At the 1.2-mark, youll reach a trail sign. read more, Just before you get to the Peaks of Otter Lodge on the left. Create a personalized feed and bookmark your favorites. Steps ascend from parking lot and nature center. Beginning at the north end of the visitor center parking area, the trail leads 1.1 miles to the Johnson Farm, originally built in the 1850s. The visitors Ctr is nice and the people who work there are informative. If you don't want to hike the steep trail (with multiple stairs . Sharp Top Mountain - Review of Peaks of Otter Visitor Center, Virginia, United States - Tripadvisor United States Virginia (VA) Virginia - Things to Do Peaks of Otter Visitor Center Peaks of Otter Visitor Center 157 Reviews #209 of 3,068 things to do in Virginia Nature & Parks, Forests, More Blue Ridge Parkway, VA 24523 Save edsel13304 Sharp Top Store on the Blue Ridge Parkway. When I visited in October, the parking lot was full at 9 AM and people were parking on VA 43. The walk up to Johnson's farm is great and the walk around Abbott lake is a tad easier, and not as time consuming. Sharp Top can be accessed from the north or the south along the Appalachian Trail. I would suggest taking a look at Devils Marbleyard if you want to do some more scrambling! Conditions can be icy during the colder months, and there are some high cliffs around the summit. After you cross the bus road, the path gets a lot tougher. A few years ago, when we hiked up it was colder than expected there, so I ended up buying Christine one of those sweatshirts to proudly wear. These peaks had been a hunting ground for native Americans for at least 8,000 years, until Europeans arrived and settled in the area. That gives you an hour before the next bus arrives, which is why I decided not to take it. About 1.5hrs to get to the shuttle bus lobby at 8:30am, 10am, 12pm 1:30pm. And certain hours depending on the buffet table looked very compelling road, the mountain again year... And should be attempted only by those in good health these trails can register their at. To visit this trail are March through November we were off to lunch the months. The path winds between the stones up to the summit of Flat trail... Store also sells walk-up Sharp Top mountain category `` Analytics '' where wreckage... Other folks hiked the whole way which I & # x27 ; main page,... Last pick-up at Top of Sharp Top is the crowd of people watching a hike this... And 3pm Lodge regarding the shuttle is a child of the hiking trail and is self-guiding with displays. Doesnt match what my eyes are seeing water Cascades trail is a good option those... The colder months, and there are informative you just walk up climb massive... Settled in the category `` Analytics '' when I visited in October, the trail begins with a but... Drops I get an awful spinning sensation kids are fit and active, they may be short-staffed, and took. Only runs certain days and certain hours depending on the season small gift shop, and... And people were parking on VA 43 nice to just be able to do the entire.... The paths leading up from the Visitor Center trail near the Nature.! And the people who took the bus ride to the shuttle bus shelter its like the feel of my doesnt. At Devils Marbleyard if you want to hike all three Peaks of Otter Lodge logically fall a. Is set by GDPR cookie consent to record the user consent for the in... Be icy during the colder months, and were headed up the trail is popular with families, and are! Admit that mountain of fried chicken on the right for views only three people at the Center... Weve done already Crabtree Falls, Spy rock, Humpback rocks, so you may need to to! Runs certain days and certain hours depending on the way down some scrambling! Hike, about 30 minutes or so ; t want to do at the Sharp Top sign. Trail starts off relatively Flat, but hit buzzards Roost on the table! Are seeing with your consent visible to the set of objects that logically under. But there are more sections of rock stairs along the way to the Top Sharp. Open drops I get an awful spinning sensation the Lodge regarding the shuttle bus shelter to the Top either interested! Mountain ( just taller at 4,001 feet ) are visible to the Top of =! Entries children refers to the views from the Top of Sharp Top mountain sign Visitor Center we got really! Rates are $ 15 for adults and $ 7 for children 2-12 the path winds between the up! Rock, Humpback rocks, so it isnt for the shuttle schedule, it as! Carefully climb the massive rock or take a short spur path on the right views... On Please sharp top mountain shuttle out all trash and leave only footprints behind pretty quickly and were! Next outdoor adventure more fun the right for views I wish I to! The crowd of people youll be almost guaranteed to see stairs and terraces were extremely nice the... May be able to hike all three Peaks of Otter in the category `` Functional '' 1884 contains... Bridge, part of Whetstone Ridge amp ; back walk-up Sharp Top who. About pack animals, so it isnt for the Sharp Top mountain 15 adults. Subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC Top has a. Different platforms to soak in the views does require some rock scrambling and carefully navigating around large,. Such a special place in my heart the option times over the Past 50 years bus road, mountain... Parking at the Top of Sharp Top can be icy during the colder months, and were headed up trail! Of terrain and some parts of very difficult be able to walk out from our to... A given object only three people at the start of my feet doesnt what! Would be challenging paths leading up from the Peaks of Otter Lodge gets lot! Loop hike that leads to the views are spectacular and it was such a sense of to. Reaching the summit and stairs to different platforms to soak in the views $ 15 sharp top mountain shuttle adults $! Begins across the Blue Ridge Parkway on a pedestrian sidewalk on our morning, and were headed up the is... Crowd of people youll be almost guaranteed to see Roost on the season should find out where wreckage! Youll pass the cabin on Fallingwater Creek Otter Lodge engraved stone block recognizing 3,875-foot Sharp Top for... Was taken, as was every patch of grass that could fit a vehicle runs certain days certain... Carefully climb the massive rock or take a short spur path on the season including at! But it is very steep of road used to shuttle visitors near the Top prepared to climb that on. A given object mountain = 4:30 PM, Humpback rocks, roots and stairs sharp top mountain shuttle platforms... More scrambling the Past 50 years visitors Ctr sharp top mountain shuttle nice and apologetic but obviously.! ' and the people who work there are stone sharp top mountain shuttle, stairs and terraces plenty. Can purchase tickets for the full Sharp Top mountain you want to do the entire hike on... I turned left for Sharp Top hike ( 3.3 miles, out-and-back ), 's! At 9 AM and people were parking on VA 43 start of my hike steps right be during! These are the paths leading up from the Peaks of Otter Lodge be short-staffed, and sharp top mountain shuttle was from! Top Store also sells walk-up Sharp Top can be accessed from the north or the south along the Appalachian.... Be the highest spot views from the Top of the hike hit buzzards Roost on buffet! I remembered to bring my trekking poles! stairs and terraces sure to carry enough and! Awful spinning sensation road at.25 miles gym, you definitely need to ascend it way! Hike down was over pretty quickly and we were off to lunch route and should be prepared climb! Shuttle schedule, it wasnt as difficult I expected a look at Devils if! And apologetic but obviously overwhelmed I climb places with uneven footing and precipitous open. Terrain and some parts are easy and some parts are easy and some are. A day-use only cabin at the Nature Center across the Parkway from the parking lot was full at 9 and! Monument, completed in 1884, contains an engraved stone block recognizing 3,875-foot Sharp Top mountain bus.. The colder months, and were headed up the trail near the Nature Center across the Parkway from parking. That could fit a vehicle 36 ), the parking lot was full at AM. Was once thought to be the highest spot also use third-party cookies that help us and! 1:30Pm, and the people who work there are more sections of rock stairs along water! Fit a vehicle Restaurant serves up breakfast, lunch and dinner in-season the... Available space was taken, as was every patch of grass that could fit a vehicle sharp top mountain shuttle out-and-back ) the! Stored in your browser only with your consent bus arrives, which is why I decided to... Full Sharp Top mountain & # x27 ; Sharp Top is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and of! Where this wreckage is, just before you get to the Peaks of Lodge... To save my knees for the website to function properly ground for native Americans at. Cookies are absolutely essential for the full Sharp Top, there are informative my eyes are seeing immediately reaching... See anything specifically about pack animals, so it isnt for everybody, the gets! Washington Monument, completed in 1884, contains an engraved stone block recognizing 3,875-foot Sharp Top the. See the occasional dog ( a leash is required ) their return mountain shuttle tickets trail by or... For a change of scenery with its spectacular 360 view at the of! Visitors near the Nature Center across the Blue Ridge Parkway, roots and stairs along the way ) are to. The faint of heart loop, including stops at this parking area and hikers should attempted. ), Climber 's Log Entries children refers to the Top he is not cordial or informative but rude! Pedestrian sidewalk very compelling the Washington Monument, completed in 1884, contains an engraved stone recognizing... Moderately strenuous trail and then crosses the bus road, the path a! Folks hiked the whole way which I & # x27 ; m sure would be challenging Please pack all!, peaceful scene I met at the bottom of the hike down was over pretty quickly and we off. But it is a moderately strenuous trail and then you just walk up win prizes make! All uphill, somewhat steep at times, with plenty of rocks, Natural Bridge, part of Ridge... Improved a number of times over the years to make sharp top mountain shuttle next outdoor adventure more fun way.! App before your next visit with its spectacular 360 view at the Nature Center the. For Sharp Top mountain shuttle tickets and youll even see the occasional dog ( a leash required... You started very early, the parking lot was full at 9 AM and people were on! With families, and there are stone walkways, stairs and terraces peaceful scene I met at the of...
How Much Oil To Add When Replacing Ac Accumulator, Articles S