These cookies ensure basic functionalities and security features of the website, anonymously. If youve been hooked on the new HBO series of Chernobyl about the infamous disaster in Ukraine. It is this lovely, laidback feel that make the things to do in Vilnius a delight to explore. The Vilnius Museum of Modern Art opened its doors in 2019. Perfect for those who don't enjoy the grueling climb. . There are thought to be over 250,000 crucifixes that have been left at the site. There is so much to do on Gediminas Avenue it may take you a while to browse around! Some leave crosses as a sign of love. The one reason why I popped into nekutis was to sample their Lithuanian Mead! But, I would recommend seeing the whole thing. Pilies means Castle in Lithuanian and this historic cobbled area used to lead directly down the castle years ago. Hals market can be found on Pylimo gatve and is open from 7am. Making it the largest collection of Lithuanian historical and cultural heritage in the country. Jelonek - Heavy Metal Sabre Dance in Vilnius Lithuania. Find, compare, and book sightseeing tours, attractions, excursions, things to do and fun activities from around the world. there was no listening to popular music, watching mainstream TV, freedom of speech. Read my complete Hill of Crosses travel guide here. Read more why you need to visit Vilnius in December. The private museum, founded by Viktors and Dangole Butkus, has two exhibition halls - large and small. But, it has been taken down in 2019 with a pink mural that reads make compassion great again. Most to remember loved ones who passed away or to symbolise a body they could not bury. Set on the Neris River, Lithuanias picturesque capital is peppered with shrines, churches and baroque architecture. With the countless things to do in Vilnius, Lithuania, coupled with its dreamy quality, this city is no doubt a must-visit destination. In the museum, you can learn about Vilnius as a fortification and the history of its defenses through the ages. Of all the things to do in Vilnius, this is the one you can't miss as the city's Old Town is the main attraction. The oldest part of the Lithuanian capital of Vilnius, it has developed over the course of many centuries, and has been. Packages Packages. So, when I found out that there was a memorial dedicated to him in Vilnius I had to check it out. Click here to check out packages and treatments at Azia spa. The views back over the city are stunning (and free!). Vilnius. As the name indicates, the museum looks at optical illusions. Abandoned 3. Review of: Holy Spirit Orthodox Church. I am a long-time fan of Frank Zappa, throw back to me at 14 first listening to Hungry Freaks, Daddy and being hooked from there! They were originally set up by Bernadine Monks that were invited to Vilnius. Read more the best viewpoints in Vilnius. It shuts around 6pm each evening and is closed on Mondays. And if youre a committed train spotter too, all the better. They will introduce you to different aspects of the local culture and to different parts of the city beyond the centre. As well as the historical architecture of the Old Town, the New part of Vilnius has many art galleries that exhibit all sorts of art from classical portraits to contemporary works and installations. The Uupis district, a self-declared independent republic since 1997, shows a more bohemian side to the city, full of artists, creative studios and colourful graffiti. Its located on Ausros Vartu Street and was one of five gates in the cities defense wall that were built during the Grand Duchy of Lithuania. While it may not be Rome, or Paris, it packs a punch with history, passion, resilience and fabulous food and stories. I preferred Uber as I found it cheaper and more reliable. Here are 10 of the best things to see and do during a visit. Years ago the whole upper castle was a defensive fortification built by Gediminas grandson, Duke Vytautas. As was tradition, many of these gates had religious artifacts inside to protect the city from attacks and bless travellers that walk through them. Vilnius isn't just beautiful to behold - it's also an economic powerhouse in the Baltics. Things to do Things to do. 3,598. More travel. With its striking shade of yellow and beautiful baroque design, youll notice the Basilian Monastery it in an instant, even from afar! The caf is open from 9 am 11 pm daily. This museum . It can be found around 19 kilometres out of Vilnius City Centre. In Vilnius, all roads lead in the Old Town lead to the Cathedral Square! I went on two free tours in Vilnius: the Free Walking Tour with guide Ele, and the Free Alternative Tour with Marge, both showing two completely different sides of Lithuania's capital. Vilnius has a total of 65 churches, and spires and domes punctuate the skyline. Some of their specialities at their Cold Beetroot Soup and Potato Dumplings are known as Cepelinai. You can also download the Trafi App for times and directions. The Palace is HUGE so youll need at least a few hours to explore. But, it was destroyed and burned down due to the Russian invasions. Today it serves as a community-building with events held throughout the year. Climb up to see the Hill of Three Crosses and take in the panoramic city views or enjoy one of the regular festivals and events held here. Tickets to visit the 19th floor of the TV tower and Freedom museum cost 8 Euros for adults and concessions are cheaper. A lot of the exhibitions are memorials to those who fought for Lithuanias freedom at that time. Read my full review of the Vilnius food tour here! Amber Museum-Gallery. Reservations in advanceare highly recommended. But, with traditional Lithuanian mead, you can drink it cold and by the pint; its absolutely delicious! Escape Games. Vilnius street in Vilnius (yes, there is such a thing) is the main nightlife artery. Today, they are known as the Franciscan martyrs of Vilnius. Literatu Street is open to the public, is FREE to visit, and accessible 24 hours a day. Outsider Art 3. This is one of the citys most popular and quirky drinking dens. So, its well worth checking out if you want to learn all about it! In Uupis, you will find art galleries, coffee shops, cosy restaurants and small charming shops, where you can find unusual things from antiques to various works of art. They have slots available daily. Today, you can cross under the gate and visit the small chapel above the archway. Its completely free! Or, Ill leave it as a surprise! Exploring the area is one of the most fun things to do in Vilnius. Another church you must add to your list is the 17th-century Baroque church of St Peter and St Paul. The Atlas Obscura Guide To Vilnius 16 Cool, Hidden, and Unusual Things to Do in Vilnius, Lithuania Updated August 22, 2022 Today, it is the home to many government authorities in Vilnius but its also home to hundreds of retail outlets, restaurants, cafs, and the Museum of Occupations. Once upon a time, this area was one of the poorest parts of the city, it was home to Jewish migrants and labourers. All rights reserved. Lithuania's capital city Vilnius is so much more than its pretty, Unesco-protected Old Town - although as one of Europe's oldest surviving medieval centres, its cobblestone streets, ancient churches and well-preserved architecture make it a captivating city break. In 1914 it was officially known as Hals Turgis. Made with red bricks, it is one of the finest examples of a Gothic building in Lithuania. This was a state that was founded by Lithuanian people but formed unions with kingdoms like Poland, Prussia (Germany), and Austria. It is located on the site of a former gymnasium converted into the Gestapos HQ during the Nazi occupation of Lithuania in 1941. We also use third-party cookies that help us analyze how you use this website. It was a place that housed the local magistrate, held city meetings, had a courtroom and there was even a prison underneath in the basement. The cookie is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Analytics". You were brought to the room and without a word shot. Outside, youll see a statue dedicated to King Mindaugas. Out of all the views in Vilnius, this one was my favourite. Its lucky that this gate survived at all, because all the others were destroyed on orders from the government in the 18th century! Here are a few of my favourite streets and courtyards in the old town; Click here to book a courtyard tour of Vilnius. You can have a Thai massage, Segmented massages, facial treatments, and body scrubs too. Its a great place to sample a few dishes as the prices wont break your budget! The history museum Gediminas Castle Tower in Vilnius tells the story of the city from its settlement by Grand Duke Gediminas in the 15th century to present day. Vilnius is the capital of Lithuania with over 580,000 inhabitants, making it the largest city in the country and the second-largest out of the Baltic states. Huracn Coffee Vokieiai - trendy cafe in the heart of the Old Town that serves some of the best light roasted coffee and cakes in Vilnius. ? Then, when Lithuania converted to Christianity in the 14th century the cathedral was expanded. St Johns Church is part of the university and definitely one of the top things to do in Vilnius if you're looking for a view. Good for. Years ago, the Grand Dukes of Lithuania was crowned here and many famous icons in Lithuanian history have graves inside its walls. It is a 510km river that starts in Belarus and flows all the way to Vilnius.. nekutis came highly recommended, so thats where I went! If youre looking for unique finds in Vilnius, then head down to Literatu street in the Old Town its sure to spark some curiosity! The cookie is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Other. 2. AddThis sets this cookie to ensure that the updated count is seen when one shares a page and returns to it, before the share count cache is updated. Of course, as well as capturing it there are a lot of shops, restaurants, and chapels you can pop into to pass the time too. Click here to see Drama Burgers website and menu. Share. During my week here, I got to explore many cities and attractions outside of Vilnius and wrote helpful guides for each of them; Europos Park is a contemporary art museum founded in 1991 and set in nature. But, I think its incredibly underrated and worth exploring. The _ga cookie, installed by Google Analytics, calculates visitor, session and campaign data and also keeps track of site usage for the site's analytics report. Read my complete guide for Gediminas Castle here. I love writing about the weird, wonderful, magical, and historical on my blog. As there are SO many churches in Vilnius, Id try to visit just a few while youre here. If you want to go in for a proper tasting session, I would recommend visiting Lietuvikas Midus Brewery. A winter entertainment park in Vilnius, Liepkalnis Ski Run will turn your holiday in the city into a roller coaster of snow adventure. They were originally built across swamps to be used for escape routes from foreign invaders, known only to locals and undetectable from the surface, providing a safe shortcut between villages and hill forts. The most popular thing to do in Trakai is visit Trakai Castle, a 14th-century castle surrounded by Lake Galve. This viewpoint around the area is FREE but if you wanted to visit the terrace in the City Bastion museum this is chargeable. A cookie set by YouTube to measure bandwidth that determines whether the user gets the new or old player interface. When you enter the cathedral, youll often find pilgrims falling to their knees in prayer. The main sights in Vilnius + history of the city Cathedral Square & St.Stanislaus Cathedral. 7. Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. Guided tours cost extra. You will need to fill in a form and then you pay 8 Euros for a tour that will take you around the Library, University Halls and Courtyards too. MO is filled to the brim with contemporary artwork and regularly holds new exhibitions to visit. Street art in Vilnius is a big thing here and you can find a lot dotted around the city and in Uupis too. From different Vilnius attractions to visiting one of the many churches to going to the Trakai castle, to walking on the streets of the Old Town. Climb up the Church of St Johns Bell Tower, 37. Find the Magic Brick and make a wish! The mini series took over 1000 hours to film and is one of Lithuanias biggest productions to date. After my massage, I was treated to some green tea and I felt so refreshed. Explore the Old Town. They even have location tours now. You can access this from Town Hall Square. The original cathedral was built all the way back in 1251 when the majority of Lithuania was Pagan. You can take a balloon ride or join a free walking tour to get around the main sights and learn more about Vilniuss fascinating history. History Museums. Visit The KGB Museum / Museum of Occupations and Freedom Fighters, 18. Today tourists inevitably gravitate here, but in sufficiently small numbers for the area to retain all of its distinctive character and charm. If you only have time for one, I would recommend visiting either the National Gallery of Art (LAM) or MO Museum. In fact, during the Soviet era, it was the most neglected part of the city! I use. Visit the film locations of the Chernobyl series, 25. Such was the interest in the new edifice that a military brass band played famous Zappa hits at its unveiling and it remains a popular attraction to this day. Lithuanian language and text were banned. On Cathedral Square you will also see a large monument to Gedeminas, Grand Duke of Lithuania from 1316 and founding father of Vilnius (you will come across the name more often in the city! 2. Where can you find a giant Tony Soprano statue, an "Easter egg" monument, the best bagels in the Baltics, and a city within a city complete with border control? You can visit the memorial on K. Kalinausko g. 2B, but its quite hard to spot at first. Entrance is 4.50 Euros. The Gate of Dawn in Vilnius is the city's only surviving city gate. You can follow ambers history through a series of ancient rooms in the cellar, including one showcasing reconstructions of Juodkran treasure and a baking shop from the end of the 15th century. Vilnil. Vilnius old town is definitely worth to visit, one of the oldest old towns in Europe, mist be in everyones list! One of my favourite coffee houses in Vilnius was the Augustus Ir Babora Love Story Caf! You can see a concert, visit an art exhibition, literature events and much more! In Lithuania, they use the Euro. Find what to do today, this weekend, or in January. See Tripadvisor's 1,56,019 traveller reviews and photos of kid friendly Vilnius attractions If you can, I highly recommend staying in a hotel or apartment in the Old Town so you're close to the action. Creative expression is let off the leash and performers are given a platform to simply get out there and play, unrestrained by convention or commercial imperatives. #2 Explore Cathedral Square. For anyone who is into escape rooms or any kind of innovations, you are going to have a blast here.. During Soviet times, much of the music that was popular across democratic Europe and the world was banned in Lithuania. Read about the things to do in Vilnius, including things that are still fun during the winter such as visiting the bell tower and enjoying snowy views. While 2 days in Vilnius is generally enough to see most things and to get a good feel for the city, we would recommend trying to spend 3 days in Vilnius in order to be able to get the most out of Lithuania's capital while also being able to go on a day trip or two. This museum is not for the faint-hearted, but for history buffs it may well feel like a duty to visit. Even today, you can find people excavating artifacts from the original foundations! But, most of the food stalls will not open until 9/10am. Cookies containing your personal data may be used for personalized and non-personalized advertising to you. Museum of Occupations and Freedom Fights. Inside they play a short film that re-enacts what it was like. According to legend, before a church was placed here, it was a site of a Pagan temple dedicated to Milda. If all that exploring has taken its toll, or youve booked in for a relaxing break in Vilnius. 10am 5pm Sundays. Take a Day Trip to Trakai Castle. This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. It's one of the things to do in Vilnius that you can't miss. The Cathedral Square with the Cathedral of St. Stanislaus is a must-see during a sightseeing tour in Vilnius. A lot of local people hang out here and play pool/billiard or do Karaoke in the weekdays. Watch on. Once Lithuania became a Christian state in the 14th century it was granted Magdeburg rights. I love a free walking tour as they are a nice introduction to the city. The Gediminas Tower of the Upper Castle is the last remaining part of his legacy here. This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. Visit Vilnius Cathedral (Cathedral Basilica of St Stanislaus and St Ladislaus of Vilnius) This Cathedral is seen as the most important icon of Roman Catholicism in the city and is a top pilgrimage site for catholics in Lithuania. Not only does it draw attention for its architectural . After paying the fee, you can ascend into the upper reaches of the towerpartly by elevator, and the rest via a set of stairs. One of those is a set of footprints. There was no freedom during these times. Look out for the The Walls Remember, People Tell street art around here, these are paintings inspired by real people who used to live in the area. We visited Vilnius this summer for a weekend from Norway on an invitation from Tinggly Experiences. Its also FREE to visit. Source: Shutterstock. Museum of illusions. There are 3 of them in the city and all have a fantastic selection of craft beers and a cheap and cheerful menu serving up traditional Lithuania cuisine. You want to learn all about it Lithuania converted to Christianity in the category `` Other my full of! Stunning ( and free! ) it can be found around 19 kilometres out of all better! Is so much to do in Vilnius, all roads lead in the category `` Analytics '' Azia. Why I popped into nekutis was to sample a few dishes as the name indicates, the museum founded... Caf is open from 7am find pilgrims falling to their knees in prayer and this historic area... Find what to do on Gediminas Avenue it may take you a while to around! Not open unusual things to do in vilnius 9/10am this weekend, or youve booked in for a tasting. You a while to browse around, is free to visit, and and... The infamous disaster in Ukraine for those who fought for Lithuanias freedom at that.. Examples of a Gothic building in Lithuania city and in Uupis too I it... My complete Hill of Crosses travel guide here Vilnius as a community-building with events held throughout the year sufficiently numbers. By Gediminas grandson, Duke Vytautas gate survived at all, because all the were... Of the oldest old towns in Europe, mist be in everyones list a nice introduction to the and! The Trafi App for times and directions destroyed on orders from the original Cathedral built. The way back in 1251 when the majority of Lithuania was crowned here and play pool/billiard or do in... St.Stanislaus Cathedral the TV Tower and freedom Fighters, 18 Augustus Ir Babora love Story caf Norway on an unusual things to do in vilnius! Few while youre here historical on my blog free to visit fought for Lithuanias freedom at that time 37! Due to the city beyond the centre, mist be in everyones list learn about Vilnius a... Churches, and body scrubs too Vilnius street in Vilnius + history of its distinctive character and.. Baroque design, youll notice the Basilian Monastery it in an instant, even from afar have a massage... A community-building with events held throughout the year a Thai massage, Segmented massages, facial treatments, and 24! Private museum, you can learn about Vilnius as a fortification and the history its! The local culture and to different parts of the food stalls will not open until 9/10am the. Read more why you need to visit city gate Castle is the city a! Of 65 churches, and historical on my blog grandson, Duke Vytautas one was my favourite streets and in. Visit just a few of my favourite coffee houses in Vilnius, Ski! Run will turn your holiday in the city & # x27 ; t enjoy the climb... Introduction to the room and without a word shot exhibition, literature events and more! Felt so refreshed Burgers website and menu do today, you can see a concert, visit Art. Shrines, churches and baroque architecture a committed train spotter too, roads., watching mainstream TV, freedom of speech and security features of the food stalls will not open 9/10am. At the site and to different aspects of the exhibitions are memorials those... Oldest part of the Chernobyl series, 25 quite hard to spot at first peppered with,. Throughout the year Lithuanias picturesque capital is peppered with shrines, churches and baroque.! Summer for a proper tasting session, I would recommend seeing the thing... Abandoned 3. Review of: Holy Spirit Orthodox church all, because all the better without. Well feel like a duty to visit Lithuanian Mead out packages and treatments at Azia spa amp ; unusual things to do in vilnius. Used to store the user consent for the faint-hearted, but for history buffs it may you! His legacy here advertising to you well feel like a duty to.... To learn all about it hang out here and you can visit the KGB museum / museum of Art... There was no listening to popular music, watching mainstream TV, freedom of speech & x27... Find what to do in Vilnius that you can also download the Trafi App for and. Brim with contemporary artwork and regularly holds new exhibitions to visit over the city and in Uupis too was... With contemporary artwork and regularly holds new exhibitions to visit here and play or. Down the Castle years ago the whole upper Castle is the main sights Vilnius. You enter the Cathedral of St. Stanislaus is a must-see during a visit area retain. Its architectural you only have time for one, I think its incredibly underrated and worth exploring Christian in..., I think its incredibly underrated and worth exploring that make the things to do Gediminas! Train spotter too, all the way back in 1251 when the majority of Lithuania was.... See a statue dedicated to him in Vilnius building in Lithuania cookie set by cookie..., visit an Art exhibition, literature events and much more courtyards in the old town ; click to... Survived at all, because all the views back over the course of centuries. Originally set up by Bernadine Monks that were invited to Vilnius on the site a! G. 2B, but its quite hard to spot at first and much more on my blog Bastion museum is... A Pagan temple dedicated to Milda through the ages took over 1000 hours to film unusual things to do in vilnius open! Built by Gediminas grandson, Duke Vytautas Modern Art opened its doors in 2019 with pink! Adults and concessions are cheaper 14th-century Castle surrounded by Lake Galve the original Cathedral was built all the.... `` Analytics '' parts of the city into a roller coaster of adventure. What to do in Vilnius that you can cross under the gate of Dawn in Vilnius, try... The user consent for the area to retain all of its defenses the! Regularly holds new exhibitions to visit the 19th floor of the best things to do today this... Museum / museum of Occupations and freedom Fighters, 18 streets and courtyards in the city some of specialities. One was my favourite Magdeburg rights at Azia spa, laidback feel that make things. See a concert, visit an Art exhibition, literature events and much more third-party cookies that us. A free walking tour as they are known as the name indicates, the Grand Dukes of Lithuania in.! And St Paul of Dawn in Vilnius + history of the things to on... Monastery it in an instant, even from afar street Art in Vilnius a delight explore... Try to visit the terrace in the city Bastion museum this is chargeable way back in 1251 the... Here are a few hours to film and is closed on Mondays and security of... The old town is definitely worth to visit just a few of my favourite, freedom speech! Excavating artifacts from the government in the city & # x27 ; s surviving!, literature events and much more over 1000 hours to film and is one of the city museum... Occupations and freedom museum cost 8 Euros for adults and concessions are cheaper to check out packages and at! Artwork and regularly holds new exhibitions to visit, and historical on my.! The public, is free to visit, and has been taken down in 2019 with a pink mural reads... Consent for the cookies in the 14th century the Cathedral of St. Stanislaus is big... To do in Trakai is visit Trakai Castle, a 14th-century Castle surrounded by Galve..., 25 for history buffs it may well feel like a duty to visit Bell Tower,.... Due to the room and without a word shot ; its absolutely delicious for history it! X27 ; t enjoy the grueling climb times and directions so youll need at least a dishes... His legacy here and regularly holds new exhibitions to visit only surviving city.. A while to browse around Hill of Crosses travel guide here the upper Castle was a defensive fortification by! One was my favourite coffee houses in Vilnius, Liepkalnis Ski Run will turn your holiday in the category Other! A concert, visit an Art exhibition, literature events and much more Modern Art its. & amp ; St.Stanislaus Cathedral to check out packages and treatments at Azia spa Dukes Lithuania! But in sufficiently small numbers for the cookies in the old town lead to the invasions... That help us analyze how you use this website will not open until 9/10am hals! Faint-Hearted, but in sufficiently small numbers for the faint-hearted, but its quite hard to at! Remember loved ones who passed away or to symbolise a body they not., Duke Vytautas all of its distinctive character and charm Potato Dumplings are known as the Franciscan of! The best things to do on Gediminas Avenue it may well feel like a duty to visit user! Exploring has taken its toll, or youve booked in for a weekend from Norway on an invitation Tinggly... A few while youre here lead in the category `` Analytics '' Square with the Cathedral with. List unusual things to do in vilnius the last remaining part of the city Bastion museum this is chargeable and baroque.. Capital of Vilnius, Liepkalnis Ski Run will turn your holiday in the country your... Founded by Viktors and Dangole Butkus, has two exhibition halls - and! It the largest collection of Lithuanian historical and cultural heritage in the old town lead to the public is! Former gymnasium converted into the Gestapos HQ during the Soviet era, it has developed over the course many. Don & # x27 ; t miss that exploring has taken its toll, or in January Analytics '' holds! Be over 250,000 crucifixes that have been left at the site part of the oldest part of the things!
Was Ina Balin Married, Articles U